Monday, June 22, 2009

People watching

Went to a park in Tulsa yesterday, despite the heat it was wonderful. I have driven by this park many a time, I always wanted to stop and yesterday I thought "what the hay! Just stop."
So I drove around and picked the ideal parking spot. As I walked through savoury green grass and a thick canopy of trees, I saw a Hispanic family watching the kids play on the swings and drink beer, it looked like a modern day Monet.

I crossed over the hill to the gardens. The gardens were full of small trails and secret passage ways, almost like something out of Alice In Wonderland. One led to a beautiful bench shaded by the trees and another led to a small stepping stone walkway across a narrow part of the lake. Once on the other side there was another bench shaded by the low branch of a tree. I sat down and enjoyed all that came along.

I had two mallard ducks approach me looking for food, a blue jay stopped by to say hi, a big brother in two full sleeved tattoos taking pictures with his sister walked by, a family of brothers under 10 ran around on the scenery in front of me, and a small herd of squirrels played in the trees. I read a couple Psalms, and some pages of my book then decided it was my time to explore. So I found another passageway back over the lake, this time it was a bridge of stone and wood. I came upon a small flower garden where I made a bouquet.


Altogether it was a wonderful afternoon, but the heat finally sent me toodling home.


I left thinking about why am I so amazed at other peoples lives? Is this why I love reality T.V., blogging, facebook, twitter, and so many other things? Because I get to see a glimpse of others lives and decide that mine is either better or worse than theirs?

Do I people watch to understand myself better? Or to understand others better?

It seems such a silly thing but I feel like in some small way I had a glimpse into the life of each person and animal I came in contact with, in some way I made an impact in their day and changed something about what they were to do, think or say. People watching is an amazing thing.

To answer my last two questions, it does both. We understand ourselves better by understanding others better. What a cool God to serve!

Now, I smell a brisket stewing. Another one of the many wonderful things God gives us, besides a brain, delicious food!

No comments:

Post a Comment